Commencement exercises for SCA’s class of 2023 were held on May 12 at Sherwood Church. Rev. Stephen Dervan, lead pastor of Oak Hill Church and ’97 SCA alumnus, gave the commencement address.
Pastor Stephen Devan’s main charge to the class of 2023 was a message from Acts 8.
“God’s Word is as applicable today as it was the ink was wet. Apply these words to your heart. I sat where you sat and even had some of your teachers…If you’re not careful the Bible becomes a textbook. But it’s so much more than a textbook. It’s the words of life,” Pastor Dervan said.
He added this charge: “Measure what’s happening around you. Don’t just watch. Jump in. Our world is full of watchers. Your job is not to be a casual observer. It’s to make a difference. And not for your sake, but for the sake of the Kingdom. For the Gospel’s sake. So be there.”
The class of 2023 is a very impressive and accomplished group with a total numerical average of 93%. Other notable accomplishments and awards include:
- The class performed more than 7,000 hours of community service – 3x the minimum amount required
- Athletes from this class have won 4 team state championships over their high school career
- 24 students of the 30 students are Honor Graduates
- They have been accepted to more than 50 colleges and universities across the nation
- In total, they have completed 435 hours of college credit from dual enrollment
- 4 students achieved a 4.0 grade point average
- 13 students were awarded the Zell Miller Scholarship for full tuition for a state school in Georgia
Some of the colleges and universities these graduates have been accepted to include Georgia Tech, University of Georgia, Mercer University, Auburn University, Georgia Southern, Savannah College of Art and Design, Liberty University, Lee University, Samford University, University of Nebraska, Pensacola Christian College, Truett McConnell University, Kent State University, Augusta University, Louisiana State University, the University of Mississippi, University of Massachusetts Boston, University of Alabama, and Mississippi State, and more.
Eric Bergrab gave the valedictorian address and Nicholas Patton shared a message as salutatorian.
During the ceremony, six seniors led attendees in worship with the song “I Speak Jesus” by Charity Gayle.
Class of 2023, we are proud of you! Go Eagles! We are looking forward to seeing you SOAR!
Scroll through to view the full photo gallery from the class of 2023 graduation ceremony:
View the live stream of the graduation ceremony on SCA’s Facebook page here.